On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Kremer <kremer at ringworld.org> wrote:

> Approximately every hour the network will become unusable.  If i ifdown
> eth0 and ifup eth0 it works again.  I have been told that it sounds like a
> DHCP issue, but I'm not sure if that would be a problem with the firewall
> or with my workstation.
> Any ideas?

I had a similar problem for a while on one of my Debian boxes with early
series 2.4.x  kernels.  It had nothing to do with DHCP, as I wasn't
running any DHCP at the time on my net.

My workaround was a cron job run every five minutes which bounced the
card if I was unable to ping my firewall:

#!/bin/bash
ping -q -c1 firewall  2>&1 >/dev/null && exit 0
logger -t ifbounce -p kern.warn "Bouncing eth0"
/sbin/ifdown --force eth0
/sbin/ifup   --force eth0

The machine in question has a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 (tulip chipset)
NIC in it.  The problem does not occur anymore, using a recent 2.4.x
kernel.

Of course, this may not even be the same problem.
--
$ fortune -m Kellen