On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 09:27:34AM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 09:15:40AM -0600, John J. Trammell wrote:
> >  - have /bin, /etc, /sbin, and /usr on read-only media (CD-R?)
> >  - have /home, /root, and /var on disk (maybe as little as 2 Gb?)
>
> In the event of problems, you could have a bit of trouble getting the
> machine back up to fix it if /bin, /etc, /sbin, /lib, and /root
> aren't all on the root partition.
>
> Also, if /bin, /sbin, /lib, and/or /usr are on read-only media, you
> can't update software as security patches are released.  Granted, an
> intruder won't be able to plant trojaned binaries, but they'll still
> be able to trash /home and /var.

Those are very good points.  I guess my only rebuttal is that
CD-R's are cheap  :-)

I also like the idea of doing a http request instead of email
to "send" the dynamic IP.

What could be done for backups?  Hard to do over a 56K link.

--
johntrammell at yahoo.com | 78BA 706C C5F9 9321 E7C4 933B D063 907B A88E 924B