On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 09:15:40AM -0600, John J. Trammell wrote:
>  - have /bin, /etc, /sbin, and /usr on read-only media (CD-R?)
>  - have /home, /root, and /var on disk (maybe as little as 2 Gb?)

In the event of problems, you could have a bit of trouble getting the
machine back up to fix it if /bin, /etc, /sbin, /lib, and /root
aren't all on the root partition.

Also, if /bin, /sbin, /lib, and/or /usr are on read-only media, you
can't update software as security patches are released.  Granted, an
intruder won't be able to plant trojaned binaries, but they'll still
be able to trash /home and /var.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss