On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 06:34:06PM -0600, David Blevins wrote:
> Florin Iucha wrote:
> > Do not put two harddrives on the same IDE channel.
>
> Really, why?  What could go wrong/right?

IDE channels tend not to have the extra bandwidth you see on a SCSI
controller.  One drive can pretty well saturate the channel's
available capacity, resulting in a performance hit.  Make one the
primary master and the other the secondary master.

I don't agree with Florin about getting an additional controller for
your CDROM, though.  CD drives don't normally sustain a very high
data transfer rate (relative to hard drives) and they also tend to
sit idle most of the time, so I don't see any reason not to slave it
to whichever drive sees less use.

One other option besides Florin's suggestion of backing the small
drive up to the larger one would be to set up a RAID 1 mirror of that
20 G and use the other 60 G of the big drive for your mp3 collection
or whatever else you can get by without.  A little more complex than
keeping the drives separate and not as good for performance, but the
system will just keep right on going if either drive fails.  (I'd do
it, but I'm on a RAID kick right now, buying extra drives and setting
up RAID on everything I see, whether it's called for or not.
YMWillProbablyV.)

Finally, set up swap partitions on both drives and, in fstab, add
"pri=10" to the options for both of them.  If you force multiple swap
partitions to the same priority (the pri option), the kernel will
load-balance across them.  Works quite nicely.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss