Florin Iucha wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:01:39PM -0600, David Blevins wrote:
> > No big deal
> > though, I have full backups of everything and am just going to
> > reinstall.
>
> Stop! That's the Windows way!
>
> The linux way is to:
>    0. Think
>    1. RTFM
>    2. STFW
>    3. ATFML

Actually I did 0-3 already, see my thread titled "Changing the host name".

> in that order. But since you are already at step 3:
>
>    Add a line
>    127.0.0.1      your-host-name
>    to /etc/hosts

Took care of that when I changed the hostname.  I also grep'ed my system to
find any files still referencing the old host name, found some and changed
those too.  I'm using RH 7.2 and seems they were keeping references to the
old hostname in some kind of profiles directory
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default.  Before I changed those, I
couldn't get KDE or GNOME to start at all.  Anyway, I can't find any more
references to the old hostname and I've already been through 0-3 once, I'm
not confident I'll find anything new a second time through 0-3 and I don't
want to bother people with the same question.  On the other hand, I know a
reinstall will fix everything.

> > But I am not sure what the best way to
> > partition
> > those drives, any recommendations there?
>
> Do not put two harddrives on the same IDE channel.

Really, why?  What could go wrong/right?

> But I suspect you already have something on the second channel (CD-ROM)
> so my suggestion is to get out and get a PCI IDE controller (Promise,
> Maxtor, Whatever) and connect your 80gigger to that controller.

Will do.

> Also put your system directories (/ /usr /var) on the 20 gigger and
> backup them regularly onto a partition on the 80 gigger.

Thanks for the advice!

David