On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:01:39PM -0600, David Blevins wrote:
> So after changing my hostname my printer stopped working, samba won't start,
> and the login GUI won't start KDE or GNOME unless I specify them explicitly
> (i.e. I can't use the "Last session" or "default" options).  No big deal
> though, I have full backups of everything and am just going to reinstall.

Stop! That's the Windows way!

The linux way is to:
   0. Think
   1. RTFM
   2. STFW
   3. ATFML
in that order. But since you are already at step 3:

   Add a line
   127.0.0.1      your-host-name
   to /etc/hosts

> So here is the real question, I have two drives 1) WD 7200rpm, 20gb, IDE and
> 2) Maxtor 7200rpm, 80gb, IDE.  How would you guys/gals recommend I setup the
> drives?  My gut feeling is to put the 20gb as the primary (hda) and the 80gb
> as the secondary (hdb).  But I am not sure what the best way to partition
> those drives, any recommendations there?

Do not put two harddrives on the same IDE channel.

But I suspect you already have something on the second channel (CD-ROM)
so my suggestion is to get out and get a PCI IDE controller (Promise,
Maxtor, Whatever) and connect your 80gigger to that controller.

Also put your system directories (/ /usr /var) on the 20 gigger and
backup them regularly onto a partition on the 80 gigger.

Cheers,
florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4