On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Florin Iucha wrote:

> B*A*C*K*U*P

Lucky for me, this wasn't important data.  As you can probably guess, it's
my entire MP3 collection and some other misc crap.  Oh well, guess a few
more months of ripping for me.

> Sorry to editorialize, especially in a moment like this but this is why
> I was preaching:
>    - separate your $HOME stuff in $REALLY_HOME and
>      $MP[3G]S_AND_OTHER_CRAP, where $REALLY_HOME is less than 640 Megs
>      (guess why)

I have a 2GB DDS drive.  Hindsight is 20/10.

> And if you tell me that you have had 6 gigs of $REALLY_HOME critical
> stuff that you haven't backed up, please allow me to not believe it.

well, as a sysadmin I should be shot.  Like I said, it's just MP3s ripped
from my CD collection that I really care about.

> In theory data is there, but metadata is gone. Dump that partition into
> a file in a spare partition/hdd and analyze it later. But if it's binary
> data... slim chance.

yeah, I doubt MP3 is easy to recover this way.

Well, now for a nice fun weekend.. :-)