On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 11:54:38PM -0600, Brian wrote:
> rm -rf is a great utility.  Unless, of course, you're in the wrong
> directory.  And so I ask, how can I go about recovering a directory that
> became victim to the almighty rm -rf?

B*A*C*K*U*P

Sorry to editorialize, especially in a moment like this but this is why
I was preaching:
   - separate your $HOME stuff in $REALLY_HOME and
     $MP[3G]S_AND_OTHER_CRAP, where $REALLY_HOME is less than 640 Megs
     (guess why)
   - backup each accordingly, like $REALLY_HOME once every other day
     (use one good quality CD-R once a day and crap from 100/spindle
     the rest of the week... if it fails - you can live with it)
     and $OTHER_STUFF when you add something new

And if you tell me that you have had 6 gigs of $REALLY_HOME critical
stuff that you haven't backed up, please allow me to not believe it.

> Some of the files have probably been overwritten, but I'm talking about 6
> GB+ of files that were deleted.  Since it's on the /home partition, I can
> only assume that < 1 MB of data has been written to the partition.  In
> theory, the deleted inodes should still be out there.  Are there any
> methods/utilities that can help me?

In theory data is there, but metadata is gone. Dump that partition into
a file in a spare partition/hdd and analyze it later. But if it's binary
data... slim chance.

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4