Thanks for all the excellent answers to my rather vague question.

The sparc in question is already running Mandrake.
As noted below, most sparc distributions will not load on a 170 MHz
mainboard.
They *will* run if loaded on a slower system and the drives transferred. Go
figure.
I received it loaded with Redhat, running reasonably well in a server
configuration.
I must assume it was loaded following this procedure.
I have not been able to get SUSE or Redhat loaded directly.

I have verified (by doing) that Mandrake will load and run on my 170 MHz
SS5.