On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Mark Browne wrote:
> I am trying to put Mandrake on my Sparcstaion 5.
> Can anyone point me to a list of what SCSI hard drives are compatible with
> this hardware?
> Thanks

 If it's anything like the Sparc 4 (oh wait, it's nearly identical), it
uses SCA hard drives.  Heck, I'll even verify that.
 Yep.  According to http://www.obsolyte.com/sun_ss5/ :

"On the left side of the machine is room for two, 1-inch-high SCA SCSI
Harddrives (stacked ontop of one another), with the SCA connector
providing power, SCSIbus, and setting the SCSI ID."

 The only problems I foresee are sleds (which Carl says he has), and
processor speed.  (I hope, for your sake, that you don't have the 170MHz
model; it's known for problems with Linux.)  SCA hard drives aren't
particularly difficult to find; I too have a couple of 1-gig's floating
around, as well as a 2-gig I just (last night) cycled out of my Sparc 4
(which, unfortunately, can only evidently take one HD).  If you're looking
for bigger, MPC (http://www.materialsprocessing.com/) has some used SCA
drives, some of them rather large.

 And huh, I don't think I was aware that Mandrake has a Sparc version,
either.

     Jima