On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 12:52:33AM -0600, Austad, Jay wrote:
>  Epson scanners seem to be the best supported.  I bought an Epson Perfection
> 1240U awhile back, and I love it.  It takes about 10 seconds to scan a full
> sheet of paper in full color.  Other scanners that I've tried that with take
> well over a minute (cough, canon, cough).  Absolutely zero problems making
> it work on my new system too.  I just compiled Sane and Xsane, edited the
> epson config file under the sane directory to point to /dev/usb/scanner0,
> and loaded the scanner module with:

[snip]

> The Epson has sweet quality also, much better than Canon or HP of comparable
> resolution/price.  Even on windows, the Epson really kicks the crap out of
> all other scanners I've tried (and we have a ton floating around at work).
>
> Jay

I have an excellent scanner I bought in '96-97, it's a Mustek MFS 12000 SP,
it supports parallel or SCSI connections, ledger size scanning, i don't recall
the resolutions that it supports but they're still higher than all of the
tinker toy scanners being sold today (of course, it cost >$300 when i bought
it, and that was with a large-ish discount). If you're interested in doing real
work quickly, get a quality scanner (preferably SCSI) if you want to play
around and scan a few pictures here and there, go for the low-end toys..

[trim your posts!]
http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                  GPG public key 0x01938203