On Tuesday 05 March 2002 16:22, Troy.A Johnson wrote:
> Any links/sources to back up either point of view?

> >I thought that most of those scientists were exported to the US during
> >the post-war occupation of germany...
> >
> >> And to think that we have a shuttle program to talk about, thanks
> >> in part to all the scientists (rocket and other) who fled their
> >> homelands for the U.S. during Hitler's reign.

THe following is from the site:

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/TRC/Rockets/history_of_rockets.html

<quote>
With the fall of Germany, many unused V-2 rockets and components were
captured by the Allies. Many German rocket scientists came to the United
States. Others went to the Soviet Union. The German scientists, including
Wernher von Braun, were amazed at the progress Goddard had made.
</quote>

In one of the movies based on the early space race I remember a quote that
was put into Lyndon Johnson's mouth (at the time Senate Majority Leader) that
went something like, "Let's make sure our Germans are better than their
Germans!"

While there was a history of rocketry in the US, Goddard most significantly,
the Germans were well ahead in the 1940's.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com