On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 15:49:51 -0600
"Austad, Jay" <austad at marketwatch.com> wrote:

> Most likely, it's because the coax is sheilded much more than standard
> cat-5.  Or, it's also possible that this cable is used elsewhere on the
> shuttle, and having a spare part that can replace multiple things
> reduces the amount of crap they need to bring up with them.  It also
> eliminates the need for a switch or hub, which is extra weight and just
> another piece of equipment that could fail.

I would also suspect that mechanical fragility comes into play.. RJ-45
connectors (male & female) are really easy to mess up, break the little
tab off etc, whereas a BNC is metallic and tough.. I bet the coax cables
are capable of greater tensile loads as well, nice when your magneti-boots
fault and you go floating into space clutching only your thinkpad ;-)

      -.bill.layer.- .-frogtown.mn.usa.-