On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 02:13:11PM -0600, John Scherer wrote:

>    Check out the picture below.  It's of Astronaut Duane Carey, but
>    that's not what's funny.  Take a closer look at the 3COM pcmcia
>    network dongle floating above his notebook.  It's thin-net! On the
>    Shuttle! Who would have thought.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-109/hires/s109e5059.jpg

I looked at the picture in some detail, an the one thing that struck me was
the 3-ring binders of schematics, flowcharts, diagrams, etc that these guys
have to manually browse through to do their job.  Given that each
additional kilo of mass cost $1000+ to get into orbit, wouldn't each of
them simply carry around a PDA with all the reference data in a searchable
format?

No.  Space flight is a nasty business, small accidents can quickly turn
deadly.  When some sort of radiation knocks all your transistorized
electronics on their butt, you'll be glad that you still have a pen light
and paper manuals to get you home again.

I have heard people rag on NASA/Space Shuttle for years about their
outdated technology...but most of the technology choices where made for
reasons of robustness.  It has to be very frustrating for the shuttle
crew(mostly PhDs), to have to do so much manual labor in space, when there
is a lot of technology which could help them...if it wasn't earthbound for
environmental reasons.