Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome at real-time.com> writes:

> > WTF is a compose key?
>
> look at an honest-to-God DEC VT dumbterm, and you'll see a 'compose' key on
> it. other dumbterms probably have them as well.
> As Mr. Goldman implies, it's used for composing foreign characters like the
> Spanish characters that have the ~ over them, and such like.

Well, maybe on the new enough ones.  Not on any of the ones I remember
working with, and not on the two in the next room.  (Did it come in
with the VT220 series, in which case I actually did have one on my
desk in Marlboro briefly, or was it later, in which case I really
never did see it?)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net