Phone: 612-547-7573
Fax:    612-547-7580
Mail Stop: T23
MailTo:john.miller at rbcdain.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Chad Walstrom [mailto:chewie at wookimus.net]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 11:40 AM
To: TCLUG List
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Mandrake and sound and compiling kernel

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 03:09:17PM -0500, Miller, John wrote:
> I need to recompile the kernel on a new installation of Mandrake 8.2.
> I need to have soundcore be built in to the kernel and not a module.

Why's this?  That doesn't sound right.  You don't really ever NEED a
soundcard support to be built in.  All you need to do is configure your
modules support correctly.

> I am using aureal module for a montego A3D soundcard

OUCH.  Aureal went out of business, and they oringally only packaged
binary modules.  There's not much we can do to fix this card.  I did get
it working when I had an aureal, but abandoned it for a $30 Create Labs
ES1371 PCI card.

> Here are the steps that I go through.
> make xconfig.
> Change the setting for the sound
> Turn off all 3rd party modules because paep does not compile and I
> don't think that I need them Turn off version checking for the loading
> of modules because that was a problem

As long as you compile the modules against the same header files that
the kernel was compiled against, you should be fine w/module versioning.

> make dep
> make clean
> make bzImage
> maek modules
> make modules_install
> copy over the bzImage, overwriteing the old kernel

You could probably just do a 'make install' to copy over the kernel.

> reboot

Remember to rerun lilo.  If you copied over the original file, you may
not actually be saving it in the same inode as the original.  If there's
not enough space, the pointer to the file name may locate a different
inode.  ALWAYS rerun lilo if you're using lilo.  If you're running grub,
disregard this advise.

> When the system is comeing backup I get a bunch of unresolved symbols
> in busybox the is stops with a kernel crash

This usually means that you've not run depmod for your new kernel
install.  You can do this before you reboot (read depmod manual) or
inside your init scripts (this is how it's usually done).  Read through
your initialization scripts for the Mandrake boot and see where modules
are initialized.

> Please Help.  This is the only thing (I thnk) that is preventing my
> dad from using linux

Good luck.  Advice #1: dump the Aureal card.  Advice #2: only recompile
a kernel when you absolutely have to. Advice #3: Don't get discouraged,
just Read The Fine Manual and ask questions here when you get stuck.
Advice #4: Have fun!

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie