"Matthew S. Hallacy" <poptix at techmonkeys.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 04:14:40AM -0500, Scott Dier wrote:
> >
> > Software engineers are not systems administrators.
>
> It depends, a lot of system administration involves writing little scripts
> here and there for automation of tedius tasks, as well as writing front-
> ends for the sales/tech support/accounting droids. I think it goes
> hand-in-hand (although I don't think system admins would be writing
> anything to be used by anyone else but the company)

Certainly system administration involves some coding, at least the
level of scripts and often more ambitious stuff too.  Writing small
utilities is *not* the same thing as working on major development
projects!  I've always thought sysadmins (at least the good ones) were
underappreciated, and running my own servers here has not made me
think any less highly of the skills and amount of work they have to
handle.  But it's a very different sort of job, even if there are
significant overlaps in the skill sets.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net