On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 10:55:39AM -0500, cbidler at innominatus.com wrote:
> If you look in /etc/init.d/rcX.d, where X is your multiuser runlevel (which
> I'm pretty sure is 3, but maybe I'm wrong on that),

You are.  That's a Red Hat-ism.  Debian systems default to runlevel 2
and configure all runlevels from 2-5 identically.

> This is also a useful place to look when you are trying to prune services
> off of a box (but I don't *want* to be an NFS, NTP, and print server!).

apt-get remove, man.  apt-get remove.  (Or dpkg -r or dpkg -P.  Or
rpm -e.  But, in any case, if you never want to run the service, why
keep it installed?)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss