On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 10:04:45AM -0500, Erik V. Anderson wrote:
> I have an old IBM Thinkpad 380 laptop that I am trying to build up to use as my
> firewall.  I have successfully installed Debian Potato, but am running into a
> slight problem.  On startup, it appears that it's trying to start the
> networking services before the PCMCIA services.  Naturally, this won't work.
> In order to get the NIC's to pick up their correct address, I have to do a
> networking restart.  Then things work fine.
>
> Any ideas on how to switch the startup order of these

You could mangle the links in /etc/init.d to change the order, but in
reality the networking scripts should be managing non-pcmcia interfaces
and the pcmcia interfaces should be configured via the scripts in /etc/pcmcia
(when it detects eth0 via a pcmcia card it's supposed to run ifup eth0)

http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                  GPG public key 0x01938203