are you failing to authentication to the share that you're exporting?
there are some issues with the authentication mechanisms that are used
by NT 4.0 SP-foo and later where you either need to use a different
password mechanism (a variant of digest iirc) or you need to tell the
windows box to use a different format on the wire.  this is in the
faq.

i've been using an older version of samba on than that with the samba
authentication mechanisms and friends coming over with windows xp laptops
seem to work fine.

when last we saw our hero (Wednesday, Jun 19, 2002),
 Raymond Norton was madly tapping out: