On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 11:13:24PM -0500, Mike Jentges wrote:

> Wow. Thank Tux for Visi, Skypoint, PConline, and all the other locals. Yeah.
> The ones that AREN't going to be the next MS or Walmart. Register my box
> with my ISP? Uh no. I pay them for internet access, none of their damn
> business what box I connect with, as long as I don't violate policy. Since I
> assume most readers here are local to the Twin Cities, how about paying the
> extra $3-$5/mo or whatever to support the locals since you might want to
> work for someone besides ATT or Qwest someday?

Who can I get service from locally for ~$40/mo at 1.5mbit/.3mbit (or something
similar)?

>						 It's started already. For
> years I've tried to get TVLand in Blaine. Ok, I'm old and I like some of
> that stuff. Throughout the name changes and rate increases of the cable
> company, none have been able to give it to me, but literally right across
> the river they all have it. When ATT took over I thought I'd try again. I
> was told "Sure! All you have to do is upgrade to DIGITAL CABLE!" Does that
> sound like an EOL thing to anyone else besides me? How about "INCORRECT DOS
> VERSION" ?

*Looks at his TV* Yup, channel 56, Gunsmoke is on TVLAND (analog cable)
perhaps there's not enough demand for it, or perhaps they have some regulatory
issues to deal with (perhaps there's not enough demand to pay for it)

Of course, it could be an evil plot against you.

>	 Heh. Since 'telecommunications' was convieniently de regulated by
> Mr Clinton, what do you suppose is going to happen to these rates once
> everyone falls into this thing and the little guy is stomped out?
> We'll probably spend thousands taking them to court because WE set them up
> with a monopoly and now they have the ability to'rule the world'. Oh wait,
> that's already been done.
> Walmart, ATT, Superamerica and Microsoft, will have us all by the xxx, since
> we've so ignorantly given it to them.

I really like Wal-Mart, despite all the evil things people in Minnesota have
to say about it, they provided the jobs for well over 1,000 people in my home
town area (BFE Texas) by having two 'Super Wal-Mart' stores within 10 miles of
my home, they also sold gas at .79 cents a gallon (June '99).

> I realize who owns the copper, but as long as the others exist, well....you
> get the point. Something to think about next time you have to log on to the
> unemployment website.
>
> .02
> -mj

I hate AT&T with a passion, but it's a choice between the evil AT&T people
or the evil Qwest people, the evil Qwest people cost more for less, so I'm
stuck with AT&T for now.

http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                  GPG public key 0x01938203