On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Kelly Black wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 June 2002 23:13, Mike Jentges wrote:
> > Wow. Thank Tux for Visi, Skypoint, PConline, and all the other locals.
> > Yeah. The ones that AREN't going to be the next MS or Walmart. Register my
> > box with my ISP? Uh no. I pay them for internet access, none of their damn
> > business what box I connect with, as long as I don't violate policy. Since
> > I assume most readers here are local to the Twin Cities, how about paying
> > the extra $3-$5/mo or whatever to support the locals since you might want
> > to work for someone besides ATT or Qwest someday?
>
> If the locals could get a DSL line (which Qworst says I can't), or if I could
> get ISDN at < $80 / month, I would go with a local.  If you want high speed
> in most areas you have to use the dreaded cable, or worse yet sattelite.
>
> Kelly Black
> KB0GBJ

Yes, for some reason this is a bigger problem than it should be, IMO.
Why they don't do what needs to be done to increase availability is beyond
me. If they collect as many miscellaneous (sp?) fees from everyone with a
phone as they do me, (double that for a 'business line') they sure ought
to be able to afford to do it, althought they are also one of the most
disorganized companies I've ever seen. I.E. while the guy was here
installing DSL (security system) they called trying to sell it to me, and
they ever so generously sent me (2) Cisco's. A 675 and a 678. Thats just
one idiot. The offered 'rebate' on the Cisco's after 90 days was of course
about 6 months late, and only after repeated calls from my wife. They had
it together though. I only got a rebate on one of the Ciscos.  :)
Have you
checked recently? I thought I heard/read somewhere they were
loosening up their tolerances. Now whether thats good or bad is another
matter.

Mike Jentges
--
Jentges.Net, Inc.