> > Yes well I can get a lease just fine on my b0rken at&t cable modem but
> > can't route packets. I can't even ping the default route :-( A co-worker
> > told me they need my serial number and MAC from my cable modem again.
Seems
> > they need to be reprovisioned. Assholes.
>
> I know it's a horrid throught, but have you considered calling AT&T? Have
> _any_ of you called AT&T? For most of you (cable syncs, get an IP, no
internet)
> they'll have you go to a web page (everything _but_ that web page is
> filtered), you'll enter your account number, then the last 9 digits of
> your account number in the next box. Click SUBMIT, and presto chango,
> the cable modem reboots and you're on the 'net.
>
> As much as AT&T sucks, they are your ISP, you should try calling them
> before bitching and whining to a mailing list. (And put some throught
> into it, if you register your WINDOWS box with them, then unplug the
> WINDOWS box and plug in the LINUX box, you didn't register your LINUX
> box, so it's probably NOT going to work)

Wow. Thank Tux for Visi, Skypoint, PConline, and all the other locals. Yeah.
The ones that AREN't going to be the next MS or Walmart. Register my box
with my ISP? Uh no. I pay them for internet access, none of their damn
business what box I connect with, as long as I don't violate policy. Since I
assume most readers here are local to the Twin Cities, how about paying the
extra $3-$5/mo or whatever to support the locals since you might want to
work for someone besides ATT or Qwest someday? It's started already. For
years I've tried to get TVLand in Blaine. Ok, I'm old and I like some of
that stuff. Throughout the name changes and rate increases of the cable
company, none have been able to give it to me, but literally right across
the river they all have it. When ATT took over I thought I'd try again. I
was told "Sure! All you have to do is upgrade to DIGITAL CABLE!" Does that
sound like an EOL thing to anyone else besides me? How about "INCORRECT DOS
VERSION" ? Heh. Since 'telecommunications' was convieniently de regulated by
Mr Clinton, what do you suppose is going to happen to these rates once
everyone falls into this thing and the little guy is stomped out?
We'll probably spend thousands taking them to court because WE set them up
with a monopoly and now they have the ability to'rule the world'. Oh wait,
that's already been done.
Walmart, ATT, Superamerica and Microsoft, will have us all by the xxx, since
we've so ignorantly given it to them.

I realize who owns the copper, but as long as the others exist, well....you
get the point. Something to think about next time you have to log on to the
unemployment website.

.02
-mj

> > --
> > Ben Lutgens | http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
> > System Administrator | http://www.sistina.com/
> > Sistina Software Inc. |
> >
> > "I got a wife and kids too but you don't see me out here stealing
Imperial