> This looks very hopeful.  apcupsd is *very* specific about what cable
> *it* wants to use to talk to my particular UPS (It seems to be by
> lines rather than individual products, but that makes sense).   And
> it clearly has some activity in the devloper community, which is
> always good :-).  So I gotta go buy a resistor and give this a try!
>
> Nut only refers to the official commercial cables from APC, which they
> don't document.  If I have problems with features or something in
> apcupsd (which looks unlikely) I may try the cable I guy with nut to
> see what happens.
>
> And I hadn't found either of these particular products in my googles;
> I found plenty of others, mostly stuff that was pretty old and not
> updated.

If you look around the Nut pages you will find a link to build a cable to
work with the APC Backups series of
units. I'm using the software with an APC smartups and a Upsonic PC might
(contact closure) ups. The cable for
the Smartups it a self built smart cable and the Upsonic has a custom built
cable for the contact closure. One of the
other nice things about Nut is that Netsaint and Nagios can monitor it for
you.

Joseph Key