nate at refried.org writes:

> Good UPS software is a hard thing to find.  I've used apcupsd[1] quite a
> bit.  As far as being able to talk with the UPS with any cable, this is
> my choice.  I've used it under Linux and OpenBSD listening to a BackUPS
> Pro series using smart signalling over the 0095 cable.
>
> Another good piece of UPS software seems to be NUTS[2].  I haven't used
> it much in production because of cabling issues, but it looked promising
> a few years ago.
>
> Nate
>
> [1]. http://www.apcupsd.com/
> [2]. http://www.exploits.org/nut/

This looks very hopeful.  apcupsd is *very* specific about what cable
*it* wants to use to talk to my particular UPS (It seems to be by
lines rather than individual products, but that makes sense).   And
it clearly has some activity in the devloper community, which is
always good :-).  So I gotta go buy a resistor and give this a try!

Nut only refers to the official commercial cables from APC, which they
don't document.  If I have problems with features or something in
apcupsd (which looks unlikely) I may try the cable I guy with nut to
see what happens.

And I hadn't found either of these particular products in my googles;
I found plenty of others, mostly stuff that was pretty old and not
updated.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net