On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 02:00:31PM -0500, Doug wrote:
> So if I mirrored 2 drives linux would still see 2 drives instead of
> one?

Yes and no.  At one level, the kernel recognizes that there are two
separate drives, /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdc1 (or whatever).  However, the
md driver combines hda1 and hdc1 into /dev/md1.  You format and mount
md1, not hda1 or hdc1.  (Touching hda1 or hdc1 directly would cause
Bad Things to happen...  Well, maybe not if you're doing a mirror,
but why take that chance?)

> Well I guess seeing 4 more ide devices (up to anyway) is better
> than nothing. And in doing that have you noticed any performance loss?

Works great for me, although I only do 2 devices on my HPT366
controller.  If you put two drives on the same IDE channel and RAID
them, you _will_ see a performance loss.  When RAIDing (or any other
time you're being performance-conscious), slave drives should be
avoided, even if it means buying another IDE controller card.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss