So if I mirrored 2 drives linux would still see 2 drives instead of one? Well I guess seeing 4 more ide devices (up to anyway) is better than nothing. And in doing that have you noticed any performance loss?

Thanks for the info...

Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org]On Behalf Of Joel Rosenberg
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 1:23 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: RE: [TCLUG] Promise ATA/Raid

I have.  Basically, what you do is set up a RAID partition when booting the system -- doesn't matter which kind, although it's slightly easier to set up what the BIOS thinks is a striped partition -- and then ignore it.  Linux doesn't see the RAID drives as RAID drives, but as ordinary partitions.  Then it's just a matter of setting up the software RAID in Linux itself, and choosing which file system you want to use.  (I'm using ext3, and have yet to have any fsck problems, even though I've had to, on a couple of occasions, hit the reset button.)

Overhead is apparently small, and Linux supports more kinds of RAID than the Promise chipset does, anyway.  (Right now, I've got my / and /home directories on mirrored partitions, and my /var directory on a striped one.)