On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Austad, Jay wrote:
> I checked about 6 months ago.  Even if I can get it, I don't know if I
> want to give Qwest any money.  I'm Qwest free now thanks to
> Vonage.com.

Vonage offer local phone numers yet?

> Qwest's loop fee to my place is $210 a month.  Although, when Onvoy was
> running their $299 T1 deal awhile back, they (onvoy) tacked on a $420 loop
> fee.  I nailed them on this and they said they'd "work with me" on it, but
> they wouldn't go below $350, so Onvoy is jacking the price on the loop fee,
> paying qwest their share and keeping the rest.

Sheesh! You got yourself a good loop price.  :)

Could be that Onvoy was including their pvc charge in that fee, although
that shouldn't be more than $20-$30/mo, on the high end..

> I might.  He would need a mast antenna though, and since his lot is
> small, it can't be very tall.  I'm in brooklyn park, and the max
> height of your antenna is dictated by how many feet back it is from
> the road (1 foot of antenna for every 5 feet from the road, or
> something like that).  My lot is 220 feet deep, so I can get high
> enough, but I don't know if he can.  I would doubt much would happen
> if either of us went too high.  As long as the antenna is painted to
> blend in, most neighbors probably won't report it as an eyesore.

Get Ham Radio licenses, then you can do whatever you want (within reason).

> I'd probably be able to hit my place of employment, but getting our
> building to let us put things on the roof is nearly impossible.  I
> don't want to be connected to this network anyway.

Heh, yeah.