>No, he is not correct.

I guess you could be correct, it seemed to work correctly after making the
symlink but on closer examination xine (or ogle) is not using the "raw"
device like I thought it was (it is still using the buffered device). I was
maybe to eager to admit that I was a dumbass :)

>There is someting else "raw" related to I/O in Linux.
>There is a "raw-io" capability in Linux that allows one to bypass
>the page/buffer/etc cache, to allow certain application
>(databases for example) to work on the "bare metal".

yep, I figured that much out in my research in the subject.

>See http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howto/en_GB/html/howto-8.html for an
>example of how to setup them.

been over it, but the problem is I could not find the 'raw' executable they
use in their examples to make the raw device.