On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 12:58:13PM -0500, Loren Burlingame wrote:
> >most of the dvd playing apps are set by default to look for /dev/dvd and
> >/dev/rdvd. You should be able to configure that or just make symlinks
> >ln -sf /dev/hdd /dev/dvd
> >ln -sf /dev/hdd /dev/rdvd
>
> you are correct sir. I was (once again) looking for an elephant with a
> magnafying glass.

No, he is not correct.

There is someting else "raw" related to I/O in Linux.
There is a "raw-io" capability in Linux that allows one to bypass
the page/buffer/etc cache, to allow certain application
(databases for example) to work on the "bare metal".

See http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howto/en_GB/html/howto-8.html for an
example of how to setup them.

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4