John Joseph Trammell writes:
 > On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 03:42:47PM -0500, Robert P. Goldman wrote:
 >
 > Any messages on console?

Absolutely none.  And none in any of the logs.

Per others' suggestions, perhaps this is something the BIOS does and
it's invisible to the kernel?

 > I guess I find it hard to believe there's
 > somthing crying out like that and leaving no log whatsoever.  If this
 > were my system I'd start by:
 >
 > 1. figuring out how to reproduce the problem reliably

Looks like a challenging ps or pdf print job will usually do it, but I
can't trigger it reliably.

 > 2. start shutting off services while "driving the problem",
 >    and seeing when the problem stops

Did that, stopping cups as first choice, but never found anything that
reliably stopped the problem.

 > 3. repeat until I know exactly what service is misbehaving
 > 4. reconfigure the service to not do that

Never got to this point.