On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 03:42:47PM -0500, Robert P. Goldman wrote:
> Here's my problem:  my linux box (Mandrake 8.1, with Mandrake's
> kernel version 2.4.8-34mdk), under conditions of heavy load, and
> especially when printing, will start beeping the system bell, VERY
> LOUD (actually VERY VERY VERY VERY LOUD).  Usually this will stop
> eventually, but may be so deafening, that I will reboot to make it
> stop.

Cripes, that's kind of drastic.

> Any clues about how to disable this behavior?

Sit on your hands?  :-)

> I can't figure out how the heck it comes to pass.  There's nothing
> in my system logs to indicate any system distress, and everything
> seems to run hunky-dory.

Any messages on console?  I guess I find it hard to believe there's
somthing crying out like that and leaving no log whatsoever.  If this
were my system I'd start by:

1. figuring out how to reproduce the problem reliably
2. start shutting off services while "driving the problem",
   and seeing when the problem stops
3. repeat until I know exactly what service is misbehaving
4. reconfigure the service to not do that

But I run Debian so I never have to do that.  :-)

> It's a celeron 450 on an ASUS motherboard.  I'd hate to have to muck
> with it, but I'm getting desperate enough to try to snip off the
> beeper if that's what it takes....

The speaker may just unplug.  :-)

--
trammell at el-swifto.com | 78BA 706C C5F9 9321 E7C4 933B D063 907B A88E 924B