bneigebauer at attbi.com wrote:

> I just installed Redhat 7.1 (only CD's I had at the
> time) on another system. I can't get the machine to get
> an IP from AT&T's DHCP server.

I had this problem with my OpenBSD box for awhile.  I looked in the logs
and I was getting some messages from dhclient that said something to the
effect of bad answer from dhcp server.  Turned out that in
/etc/dhclient.conf you specify a bunch of request lines, which are
things you're looking for like routers and name servers.  Then there are
some requires lines that specify what the dhcp server needs to give you
back for it to be a valid response.  I ended up taking everything out of
the requires lines because sometimes all I get from AT&T's dhcp server
is an IP.  In particular for a while they weren't sending the DNS
servers.  Theirs suck, so I just run my own anyway.  I suspect this
would be a problem even with a different dhcp client as well.

Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe | jpschewe at mtu.net