On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 08:52:50PM -0500, Jon Schewe wrote:
> Is anyone using LVM in a production or semi-production system?  The
> reason I'm asking is I'm still looking for a good boot disk solution
> that can access LVM volumes and thought these people might have found
> something to fill this need.

In general, boot disks should incorporate some kind of ramdisk init
script that loads the necessary modules into the kernel for operation,
including LVM.  Remember, that you also need certain binary applicaitons
and support libraries to activate things such as LVM.  It would be nice
if there were a kernel option to do this for us, like that found for
devfs, but I'm not sure if it's even in the planning stages for LVM2.

As I understand it, LVM2 is an entirely new beast with a new
architecture and user interface.  Sistina, with Heinz and crew, were
nice enough to make LVM2 backwards compatible with the LVM1 metadata, so
that your existing LVM volumes will work w/both versions of the tools.

Why isn't LVM completely in-kernel, you might ask?  Typical debate about
what belongs there and what doesn't.  I'm happy with how LVM1 works and
have run it in production environments for years now.  I haven't tried
out LVM2, but it's considered development code anyway.  Perhaps on an
older test system.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie