when last we saw our hero (Saturday, Jul 27, 2002),
 Matt Waters was madly tapping out:
> You mentioned some stuff about the lib files being a bit dated. Do
> you know of any plans to get them up to snuff?

the curses library that ships w/OS X 10.1.x is a tad dated there were
some oddities in the way that some of the symbols were exposed on libz
and it took me a long time to wrap my mind around some of the things
that were going on with libpcap (which turned out to be more of an
issue regarding my understanding of how the capture interface was
behaving - i.e. stupidity on my part) the pthreads implementation
isn't fully baked there isn't full support for all of the pthread_*()
functions and some of the associated i/o functions.  those are the
ones that come to mind readily.

it's my understanding that a lot of this has been fixed in the next
release of the OS.  which i hear is to be based on fbsd 4.4 stable and
include all of the niceties associated with this as well as some of
the more standard svr4 ipc mechanisms.

i've got a list of terminal gripes but that's a function of being
spoiled by xterms for so long.  the NeXT terminal bugged me in pretty
much all of the same ways.

the developer tools that apple ships (or you can download from their
developer site) are first rate.  the only gripe i have with project
builder is the lame editor.  they don't let you replace it with vim or
emacs so you're stuck with a tres lame editor.  but since i spend most
of my time with make i don't really care about that.

i'm particularly keen on the IPv6 support that's to be coming in the
new jaguar release.  i'm still not sure what their plans are in the
multicast domain.

> BTW, you talked a little bit about the compiler and things
> associated with it. Once I can scrounge up enough to get a PowerBook
> G4, I plan to attempt to become a halfway decent programmer for the
> system, so any feedback on development tools (and any oddities that
> go along with them) would be appreciated.
>
> On Sat, 27 July 2002, steve ulrich wrote:

{ snipped - misc previous correspondence }

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC