I have been looking for a "good" replacement for exchange and there isn't
one.  All the alternatives mentioned here are fine for your average linux
user who can handle and deal with office applications that arn't Microsoft
based.   Your average user however is going to curse your name if you stick
them with something "Bizzare"  I hate to admit it but bizzare just about sums
it up for the alternatives out there.

(Oracle 91as server has a mail component that supposedly can take the place
of an exchange database,  but that's probably costs more than exchange)
Anyone know about this?

Ironically Exchanges Calendaring lacks a key feature that most larger
businesses are looking for.  That being assett managment.  For example you
have a conferance room that you want users to be able to schedule time for.
You either have to play with public folders or create a user account for the
conferance room.

That alone confuses most end users so you can imagine what it would be like
having them run an IMAP mail client then going to a web page for a calendar
or opening 3 or 4 different apps depending on the solution.