"Chad C. Walstrom" <chewie at wookimus.net> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:08:50AM -0500, anID10T wrote:
> > any thoughts about Qmail?    or better, Qmail and Red Hat 7.x ?
>
> DJB sucks!  OK, not really.  The author of Qmail had a set of goals that he
> feels he's met.  As a CS professor, he knows what he's doing, and for many
> people, qmail is a great server.  It's the licensing of qmail that makes many
> Free Software advocates jumpy.  Frankly, DJB's software is not Free, as in
> "free beer".  This does not make it bad software, just not a favorite amongst
> those who are "license jumpy".  I would include myself in those numbers.  I'd
> rather avoid licensing issues, and therefore choose MTA software like postfix,
> exim, or sendmail.

Dan Bernstein is is of course an UberGeek, with all the rights and
priveleges appertaining thereto :-).  Luckily, he rarely has anything
to do with the qmail mailing list, and the crew that *does* hang out
there is extremely knowledgable and helpful.

Meanwhile, qmail is small, fast, and secure.  Compare sizes, in
particular, the alternatives Chad offers.  Even assuming that Wietse,
say, wrote as good code as Dan did (seems a reasonable assumption),
the smaller quantity and the clean functional partitioning should give
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net