On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:08:50AM -0500, anID10T wrote:
> any thoughts about Qmail?    or better, Qmail and Red Hat 7.x ?

DJB sucks!  OK, not really.  The author of Qmail had a set of goals that he
feels he's met.  As a CS professor, he knows what he's doing, and for many
people, qmail is a great server.  It's the licensing of qmail that makes many
Free Software advocates jumpy.  Frankly, DJB's software is not Free, as in
"free beer".  This does not make it bad software, just not a favorite amongst
those who are "license jumpy".  I would include myself in those numbers.  I'd
rather avoid licensing issues, and therefore choose MTA software like postfix,
exim, or sendmail.

There's currently a thread in the debian-devel list about migrating off an old
installation of qmail to something like postfix, exim, or sendmail for the "dog
bowl" philosophy. i.e. The need to eat from your own "dog bowl".  In this case,
Debian's Free Software Guideline and Social Contract somewhat conflict with
it's use of qmail as the main mail server.  Under the context of the qmail
license, there's no issue with using the software, since Debian is a NPO.

As one would have it, the opinions of those in charge, namely the systems
administrators, influence the makeup of the network.  At work, we are currently
replacing the sendmail IRIX box (old and dying) with a new Debian GNU/Linux
machine running postfix, spamassassin, and AmaVis with Clam Antivirus.  All
Free Software, all Debian packages.  Gee, I wonder why. *grin*

Anyway...

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie