On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 08:12:32PM -0500, Brian D. Hicks wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 03:02:00PM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-8
> >
> > block-major-8 is "SCSI disk devices", but .config says
> >
> > CONFIG_SCSI=y
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

> > What else should block-major-8 require?
>
> Well, the main thing module block-major-8 would require is to be a
> module.

Obvious next question:  If block-major-8 is SCSI disks (easily
confirmed with a simple `ls -l /dev/sda`) and SCSI disk support is
built into the kernel, why is it looking for a module in the first
place?

> If you wanted to check exactly which one you could grep block-major-8
> from /etc/modules.conf, and you can see what it's aliased to.

`grep -r block-major *` in /etc turns up some architecture-specific
aliases for block-major-2 and block-major-28 under m68k and powerpc,
but no mention of block-major-8.  (And if you say that this is why
SCSI disk support doesn't work, my next question will be, "Then why
does IDE disk support work without an alias for block-major-3?")

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss