I'm trying to set up openldap using TLS on a Red Hat 7.1 server.  I've got
basic openldap working OK, but whenever I enable TLS it stops working.  That
is, if I comment out the TLS-related entries in config file excerpts below,
doing a "genent passwd" on the ldap server will show both the passwd entries
from /etc/passwd AND those that I have loaded into ldap.  However, enabling
TLS (by uncommenting the "ssl start_tls" line in /etc/ldap.conf) causes
"getent passwd" to list ONLY those entries from /etc/passwd: the ldap entries
do not appear (and to no great surprise, those users listed in the ldap
config cannot log in).

Some specifics ...

[root at tux /root]# rpm -qa | grep ldap
openldap-clients-2.0.21-0.7.1
openldap-devel-2.0.21-0.7.1
openldap-servers-2.0.21-0.7.1
php-ldap-4.0.6-14
openldap-2.0.21-0.7.1
nss_ldap-189-1.7

The /etc/nsswitch.conf file says:
passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:      files ldap

In my /etc/ldap.conf file I've got:
host 127.0.0.1
base dc=jeffclark,dc=net
rootbinddn cn=proxyuser,dc=jeffclark,dc=net
scope one
pam_filter objectclass=posixaccount
pam_login_attribute uid
pam_check_host_attr yes
pam_member_attribute gid
pam_template_login_attribute uid
pam_password md5
nss_base_passwd		ou=People,dc=jeffclark,dc=net?one
nss_base_shadow		ou=People,dc=jeffclark,dc=net?one
nss_base_group		ou=Group,dc=jeffclark,dc=net?one
ssl start_tls

... and in my /etc/openldap/slapd.conf I've got (among other things):

TLSCipherSuite HIGH:MEDIUM:+SSLv2
TLSCertificateFile    /etc/openldap/slapd.pem
TLSCertificateKeyFile /etc/openldap/slapd.pem

The /etc/openldap/slapd.pem is a certficate that I generated using the tools
provided in /usr/share/ssl/certs.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing?

Thanks.
Jeff Clark                                     mailto:jeff at jeffclark.net
"Too soon old, too late smart."               http://www.citilink.com/~jclark
Microsoft's success proves "You can fool some of the people, all of the time."