The problem with simply going to classes is you don't get real work
experience, which is what potential employers are looking for.  It's a
catch-22, how do you get experience if an employer won't hire you because
you don't have any?

My brother ran into this same issue.  He took a 6 or 8 month course at the U
of MN which taught Oracle database stuff and client->server programming
using VB and some other languages.  VB programmer jobs are a dime a dozen,
but he couldn't get one because he didn't have any real work experience.
Getting a linux sys admin or network job is likely going to be much harder,
chances are you won't be able to start off doing what you want to do.  Many
people end up getting help desk jobs and working their way up either by
proving themselves within the organization, or by switching to a better job
after getting some experience.

You could try getting some consulting work on your own to gain experience,
but actually finding consulting work is time consuming.  Most of the time,
the consulting work finds you, and without much experience, this is unlikely
to happen.  Consulting agencies don't want to hire anyone that doesn't have
experience either.

If you need classes to learn the stuff, take them.  But if you learn well on
your own, don't waste the money.  Concentrate on finding some job related to
what you want to do and work your way up to where you want to be.  I know
I'm not painting a pretty picture of the situation, but sadly, this is how
it is.

Jay