On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Austad, Jay wrote:

> Ok, so ATT just launched their GSM network here in Minneapolis.  Perfect
> timing since my 8260 just died.  So, being there are many people on this
> list who might know, or might be able to put me in touch with someone who
> would know....  I read awhile back that ATT found a way to lock their SIM's
> so they will only work in an ATT locked GSM phone, not in an unlocked phone.
> Is this true?  I know ATT locks their phones, but their SIM's too?

I know that if you look on eBay you can find T68i's that the sellers claim
are already set up for AT&T GSM.

> I want to get an Ericcson t68i, but ATT doesn't provide it, so I'll have to
> buy an unlocked one somewhere.  But if ATT's SIM doesn't work in an unlocked
> phone, I guess I'm stuck with the t68 (not the i).

I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between the two, but I just
picked up a T68 and it's great!

> Also, ATT's GPRS data pricing is outrageous.  7.99 for 1MB, and 12.99 for
> 2MB.  At GPRS speeds, you could easily go over your limit in just 10
> minutes.  GPRS is expensive through any provider, but ATT is double the
> price of Voicestream.

The pricing is high on any of them because it's not meant to be your one
source of Internet access.  It's meant for you to be able to check your
e-mail from your phone, and check movie listings once in a while.  They
figure you're less likely to go over that way.  I also believe I heard
that the speeds are actually capped, so you won't attain that super-fast
supposed potential speed.
Hope I was a little help.
- Kremer