On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 12:20:32 -0500
Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome at real-time.com> wrote:

> hmmm... I personally fail to find debian particularly hard to install.
> I guess it probably doesn't choose your video card and auto-configure
> 3D accelleration and all that other crap but...
>
> *I don't want it to.*

Nor do I.  Again, I prefer Slack as my distro of choice.  I like to
configure everything, choose my video/sound/etc cards and go from there.
 Slack's install is rather plain-jane and I like it that way.  Not a lot
of questions, just a straight-forward jump into the install.
Unfortunately, I'm severly lacking in time to configure it the way I
want to learn how to do it (just got off an 88 hour work week and it's
not getting any better).  At least I'm working...

> what debian *doesn't* do, is install >1GB of packages just to build a
> base system (see redhat). neither does it muck around with packages,
> adding its own extensions, hacks and patches (at least not as many as
> RH does). and the nicest thing about it:

Exactly why I like Slackware.

> *you only have to install it once*. after that, just apt-get upgrade
> for the rest of your life.

There was a package that someone wrote to do this semi-automatically,
but I haven't been able to find it again.  Again, lack of time.

> I'll grant that RedHat 7.3 is probably a better choice for the newbie;
> partly because it configures for the hardware pretty well; mostly
> because it*does* give you all those extra packages... gives people a
> chance to learn what packages they want/need/use.

True, but it's also in direct competition with Mandrake, SuSe and
Caldera on this.

> after that, they can install a base debian system, and apt-get install
> packages as needed.

Or Slack =)

--
Shawn

sfertch at real-time.com

Riding to find a cure for MS.  To help sponsor my ride (July 21-26,
2002)
for Multiple Sclerosis:
https://www.nationalmssociety.org/pledge/pledge.asp?participantid=49466