On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 10:58:44PM -0500, Shawn Fertch wrote:
> As to the install, it's been a while so I don't recall the specifics.
> Being presented with about 30 options of drivers, cards, etc,

hmmm... I personally fail to find debian particularly hard to install. I
guess it probably doesn't choose your video card and auto-configure 3D
accelleration and all that other crap but...

*I don't want it to.*

what debian *doesn't* do, is install >1GB of packages just to build a base
system (see redhat). neither does it muck around with packages, adding its
own extensions, hacks and patches (at least not as many as RH does).
and the nicest thing about it:

*you only have to install it once*. after that, just apt-get upgrade for the
rest of your life.

I'll grant that RedHat 7.3 is probably a better choice for the newbie;
partly because it configures for the hardware pretty well; mostly because it
*does* give you all those extra packages... gives people a chance to learn
what packages they want/need/use.

after that, they can install a base debian system, and apt-get install
packages as needed.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer