> That depends on your perspective.  From the programmer's
> perspective, it's
> silly to have to type arch<tab> when ark will do.  But from a support
> perspective, it's silly to name a program something other
> than what the
> program calls itself, because then people have trouble
> finding the program.
> --Ben

I think they are using functionality descriptions rather than names
because less savvy users have an easier time thinking of what they want
to do rather than the tool they need to do it with. Think of your
grandma sitting down at a computer for the first time, is "write a
letter" or "Star Office" more intuitive?  I fail to see the support
issue.  If linux is to succeed on the desktop it will be home users
driving that success.  Home users don't have a support staff.  If they
need support they will call the vendor.  The vendor will know which
programs are referenced by whatever label they choose to put on them.
The average home user doesn't like to tinker with their pc whereas I
think it safe to say that most of us on this list do.  If they don't
want to tinker the ability to change those things becomes less
important.  My grandma just don't get sym links yet.

IPC 2002