Sorry about the late responses, but some of you may be interested in the
results.  About a week ago I asked:

Joel Rosenberg wrote:

> Any kind will do, as I understand it.  Given how cheap NICs are, there's
> no particular reason not to buy a new $16 10/100 one rather than a
> discount .99 10mpbs one, but if you've already got the slow one around,
> it's not going to be a problem.  The fastest throughput I've been able
> to get out of my cable modem, under the best circumstances, is something
> a bit better than a T1 -- but it would take six T1s to fill up a 10
> megabit channel.

I did install the NE 2000 clone (actually a D-Link 220), set it up with
Slack, and it is working just fine with AT&T's Cable Modem.  Thanks!

> The real reason to have a 10/100 card is for communicating with other
> machines on the local network, and if you're not doing that, no need --

I also have a 10/100 card for my home LAN, on which IP Masquerading is
working just fine now :-)>  The cable installer left about 10 AM this
past Saturday and I had a working configuration by 2:30 PM, even with
interruptions for family duties.

Glenn McDavid
mailto:gmcdavid at winternet.com
http://www.winternet.com/~gmcdavid