On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 10:33:17AM -0600, Glenn McDavid wrote:
> Grrrr.... Anyway, the thing is a Siemens SpeedStream 1020, PCI 10/100
> Ethernet Adapter.  Does anybody have any ideas about how to set it up
> with Slackware 8?  A Google search turned up nothing.  Thanks.

lspci might tell you what chipset the card uses, which should be
enough to figure out which driver you need.  Then just either insert
the relevant module or build a new kernel with that driver included.

> What (in general) type of NIC) do I need to use
> a cable modem?  Must I have a 10/100 PIC, or can I get by with an ISA 10
> (NE 2000 clone, 3Com, etc.).

You're not going to get more than a couple Mbps over the cable modem
anyhow, so a 10 Mbps NIC will be more than sufficient.  10/100 would
be serious overkill.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss