On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:59:10 -0600
Dave Sherohman <esper at sherohman.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:13:03AM -0600, Shawn Fertch wrote:
> > Not familiar enough yet with different RAID controller setups, but
> > wouldn't it be highly beneficial if we split up the disk space onto
> > different physical disks?
>
> Any reasonable RAID setup will split the data across multiple disks.
> Building a RAID across multiple partitions on a single disk would
> be... well... pointless, at best.  It would add overhead with no real
> benefit.

Which is the point I was saying. On the spec, it was shown as 60GB+, or
something like that.  I was jumping the gun by trying to say "Disks are
cheap, let's get a few disks (to add up to that or more) if possible
($$-wise) to spread usage across the devices."  One of those "No duh..."
statements on my part =)

If we do build a new box, let's build it right and something that will
still fit it's original layout for a couple of years.

Shawn