I did exactly this with Slack 3.4. I've got 486sx16 with 4MB running just
fine now. I eventually stripped the thing down so either the kernel starts
/bin/sh directly or perhaps init did that. I forget which.

In this case I had an external parallel port superdisk drive. The trick
was to stick a UMSDOS install on a superdisk, boot from floppy and set
root to be the superdisk. It's already fully functional (though painfully
slow) at this point. I just fdisked, formatted and then copied over what I
wanted. It's a simple if slow way to get the PC running something. The sad
thing is it worked much better under DOS 5.0. Linux is heavyweight for the
poor thing. I was quite happy editing text files for IBM's assembler using
DOS's edit.com. Now it's mostly unuseable. I might bring it a curiosity.

Joshua b. Jore
http://www.greentechnologist.org