This line from your xinetd.conf file is significant:

	includedir /etc/xinetd.d

This is telling you that the config files for everything currently
configured to start out of xinetd (the 'enabled on demand' stuff) are in
/etc/xinetd.d/.  In that directory you should see a bunch of files.  One
of them is probably called ipop3d.  If you look in that file you'll
probably see a line that says "disable = yes".  Change the yes to a no and
then restart xinetd with a (on a redhat 7.x system):

	/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart

If you then telnet to port 110 it should now connect properly and not
return a 'connection refused' message.

For more information on xinetd, you can take a look at the man pages with
a 'man xinetd'.

Hope that helps,

Jeff